The Children and Youth Ministries team is looking to hire a part-time Nursery Caregiver for Sunday mornings. This portion helps provide high-quality childcare for children aged 0-3 on Sunday mornings, and for children of all ages at other events as needed. Nursery caregivers are an essential part of our children’s ministry at Grace Episcopal Church. You can read the full job description below.
Summary Position Description
The Nursery Caregiver provides high-quality childcare for children aged 0-3 on Sunday
mornings, and for children of all ages at other events as needed. Nursery caregivers are an
essential part of our children’s ministry at Grace Episcopal Church; they are responsible for
creating a welcoming atmosphere for both children and parents and for providing safe,
age-appropriate, and fun activities while the children are in the nursery. Additionally, caregivers
are responsible for creating an environment that provides a sense of trust for the parents while
they are attending other church activities and events.
Reports to: Children and Youth Ministries Director
Coordinates with: Atrium Catechists and Staff, other Grace staff and volunteers coordinating
special events that require childcare, other nursery caregivers
Expectations (Education, Skills, Competencies, Experiences, and On-going Requirements):
● Demonstrated experience caring for small children, and providing safe, age-appropriate,
and fun activities for children of all ages.
● Excellent “people” skills, including the ability to communicate with parents effectively
about their child’s care, needs, and behavior.
● Become and remain current with all diocesan and TEC requirements, including:
Safeguarding God’s Children, Anti-Racism training, and other diocesan and church-wide
● Compliance with all applicable sections of Grace Church’s Employee Handbook.
● Compliance with all Covid-19 protocols in place at Grace Episcopal Church.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Nursery Caregiver will be responsible for the following:
● Setting up and supervising the nursery to create a healthy, safe, fun, and
age-appropriate environment for young children, and providing structure for playtime,
activities, snacks, and rest (as needed). This may include reading books, singing songs,
playing games, leading craft activities, assisting children with hand-washing and eating
snacks, changing diapers, holding, rocking, and supporting the safety of the environment
through behavior management. It is the Nursery Caregiver’s responsibility to be sure
that all children are cared for in an appropriate manner and to seek assistance from staff
or parents as needed.
● Learning the names of children and parents and communicating with parents about their
child’s needs before the child is left in the nursery and about their activities when the
child is picked up.
● Recording the names and contact information of all children and their parents when
children are left in the care of the Nursery Caregiver and reporting this information,
along with attendance, to the Children and Youth Ministries Director and church office.
● If only one adult and one child are in the room, ensure that clear visual lines of sight are
maintained at all times. (Parents may be contacted to help in the case that diapering or
toileting is needed.) In other words, the nursery caregiver should never be alone with a
child or children in a space which another adult cannot see.
● Reporting hours worked by the appropriate deadline to the Children and Youth
Ministries Director and the church office, along with any supplies needed for the
● Participating in regular supervision meetings with the Children and Youth Ministries
Director, and pro-actively raising and addressing concerns and issues noted by children,
parents, other volunteers, or the Nursery Caregiver
Compensation and Hours: Part-time, hourly, $25/hr, expected to be 2.5 hours on Sunday
mornings (9:30-12:00) and additional days and evenings for special events as needed and
agreed upon by the Children and Youth Ministries Director and Nursery Caregiver. 48 hours’
notice of absence on a Sunday or for a scheduled event is required.
If you have any questions or would like to apply for the position please reach our to our Children and Youth Ministries Director Erika Mueller at [email protected].